Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Flight

                I wasn’t really sure what to expect, after all I’ve never deployed before but this was it, part of me did stop and think, what the heck did I volunteer for but I am glad I did.  So anyway, I got all my stuff to the baggage area, got on the bus and they took us to the airstrip.  There we waited just a little while before our plane arrived to take us on the first leg of my journey.  It was a commercial aircraft with pilot and crew, however obviously we were the only ones on the flight and when I say only ones there were over 400 of us.  So anyway, yes there was in flight meal and beverage service, and even in-flight movies.  As we were boarding the plane there were a few military from the post there to shake our hands say thank you and wish us luck.  It was humbling and I couldn’t help but imagine what it would be like to deploy with a unit where there was a true send off and rally and a large group of people there to send us off.  Then once be boarded the plane I caught a glimpse out the window and saw cadre saluting the plane on takeoff and I had a since of pride and honor as we got off the ground.  I was also a bit humbled thinking wow, I do deserve that I am lucky to be able to serve and to get out there and help those who are going out into the real fight.  I mean there were people on that are going out there when and IED is found and safely disposing of it, I was honored to be among them.  I am so honored that I get to serve those who serve I get to be a part of something with a group of men and women who are trying to protect and serve our country and continue to fight for freedom.  It is amazing to me how negative the news is about all of this because the job we are doing here is so much about the people here.  Most of the people I met were coming to train the local military and police, to work at clearing mines or keeping the roads safe, and working on writing the local laws and rules.  The Suicide bombers, those making IED’s are not just a threat to US forces, they are a threat to the Afghan people and most of what we are doing is training their police and military forces to help them deal with the violence.  Any way moving on…
                We flew for just over 7 hours and then landed in Germany for refuel and to change flight crews before we took off again to go to Kuwait.   There is a separate terminal for us military personnel flying threw so when we got there, there was a large group of marines and before we left a navy group came in.  There were a couple doors in the terminal where people hung bumper stickers etc and right in the middle of the door was the Kentucky bumper sticker unbridled spirit.  Of course I got my picture taken with it.  Then we were back on the plane.  I’ll tell you what, adjusting to the time was difficult honestly it still is, along with other things.  So there was a lot of sleeping on the plane, and who knows exactly how long or what the time was where we were, or where we were going.  So, oh well, just sleep that was my philosophy.  After we got back on the flight we headed from Germany to Kuwait, this was a much shorter flight only about 4 hours, if even that.  This flight I spend most of the time sleeping as well, more this flight than the previous one.  And we landed in Kuwait.  I will say one of the odd things about the flight was that we all had our weapons on board the commercial flight, of course none of them were loaded and there was no ammunition in the cabin of the plane but it was still a very odd feeling.  Honestly the entire time we were flying and before we left I wasn’t nervous, I wasn’t worried not about where I was going.  I was and still am a bit timid about the idea of doing this all alone and trying to meet new people so that I don’t spend a year watching movies and going to the gym by myself, but if I do that will be God’s plan for me, and I will be as much at peace with that as I am about being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment