Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This is a Small Army

            This is probably going to be a post title that I use a few times, why, well because it is a small army and there are many times you run across people which remind you of that.  Here in Afghanistan it is no different.  This is about a couple different incedents.
            The first is a short story not very exciting but just interesting at least to me.  Prior to deploying I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, the reason that is important is because Fort Leonard Wood is not commonly thought of as a deploying post, although now there is a forcecom unit that deploys some companies.  But generally most of the people who meet there will not deploy from Fort Leonard Wood.  I realize I am saying this having deployed out of there but if you haven’t realized already being a part of Trial Defense Services is a bit different.  Anyway, prior to leaving I ran into a 1LT who has just recently been stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, honestly I can’t even remember how we met or what we talked about but simply that she was new to the area of Fort Leoanrd Wood and getting adjusted to the tradoc lifestyle, tradoc is the training command.  Fort Leonard Wood has several basic training and AIT units, it trains the Military Police, Engineers, and Chemical, as well as the truck drivers.  Well anyway the other day I was walking into the dining hall and there was the 1LT that I had just spoken to right before leaving Fort Leonard Wood.  Shock was on both our faces I’m sure, but it was nice to see a familiar face, even if we don’t really know each other or see each other.  Apparently she got orders very quickly to deploy and they sent her here.
            I have spent most of my meals eating in the dining hall by myself, which opens up the opportunity for other people to sit around or near me.  The dining hall is set up similar to a cafeteria with long rows of tables.  Well, the other day I was sitting down and eating when a few gentlemen of high rank came and sat in the open seats near me.  I need to fill in a hole here for a minute, I wear the TDS patch with is the scales of justice balanced on a sword with a star in the middle.  Most people can quickly tell I am an attorney but if you are not a part of the JAG Corps people don’t necessarily recognize it as the TDS patch.  So I was sitting at lunch and a group of gentlemen came up and seat in the open seats.  One of them immediately recognized my patch as being TDS and then began to ask me about the chief of TDS.  I was a bit intimidated for a moment but had a very good conversation.  I soon found out that he was the XO for one of the General Officers here at Camp Phoenix and he was a JAG officer and a former Trial Defense Attorney.  There is some comradery there immediately and it is nice to be reminded how small the JAG Corps is and that we are a family really, when we see someone who is new or alone we make them feel welcome regardless of rank or job assignment.
            That is one of the many reasons I am thankful I joined the Army JAG Corps, no matter where I am in the world, if you meet another JAG they are helpful and kind, I have never felt blown off by another JAG whether they are reservist or active duty.  Now, don’t get me wrong there are some people who I don’t necessarily see myself hanging out with or having dinner with all the time.  And there are, just like in any job or group of people, some not so nice JAGs but over all there is a since of family and support, which is hard to find in some other jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment