Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My load is a lot lighter without an extra 35 lbs

Today I started my journey for r and r, and trust me this vacation is much needed. It started out with me suppose to have a flight at 1400 or there about but when I got to the office and we checked the flights that helicopter had been cancelled. Needless to say I wasn't all that happy, I wondered how I would get to bagram to fly out. But, luckily I went and checked the flights coming in and leaving, there was one coming to take one of the generals out so I checked with his staff to try and get on it and they took putty on me and gave me a ride. I got to Kuwait in record time it is normally a two day ordeal but this time I got here in about 12 hours.

The different part about this travel from all the others is once I got to bagram I could leave my weapon and my vest so I'm not carrying that around. It is different weird almost to be walking around so "light". I go out to walk around and I feel like I have forgotten something. For six months every day I have had a 9mm strapped to me so to walk around or get up in the morning and not pick it up is different, something to get use to. It is a nice break though, because it is a lot of responsibility as well as the vest being a lot of extra weight to lug around everywhere.



Honestly though this start to r and r has helped me drop more than just physical loads to carry. This is the frost vacation since I joined the army that i didn't bring any work with me, that doesn't mean that I won't probably get an email or two but I did not set out to bring any with me, it is refreshing and honestly a bit weird feeling. Also it is a huge stress reliever just walking away with a backpack And nothing else. Knowing that I can just take a break. It is funny because no matter how stressful or unstressful your job is, being here for so long and having no escape is wearing. I never would have imagined it to be that way, but no weekends away, no going home and just relaxing it is exhausting. Not to mention when you put a large number of people in a very small space there is drama, because others want to believe that they know everything that is going on in your life even when they know nothing.

So all that to say I completely understand the need for r and r and I am going to live this r and r up to the fullest.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Afgahnistan

No comments:

Post a Comment